European e-Competence Framework
The European e-Competence Framework (e-CF) provides a reference of 40 competences that apply to the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) workplace. It describes the competences, skills and knowledge requirements of ICT professionals at five proficiency levels.
The e-CF is designed to meet the needs of both public and private organisations, and gives clear definitions to support decision-making with regards to the selection and recruitment of candidates, as well as the training and assessment of ICT professionals.
The e-CF was developed under the umbrella of the European Committee for Standardization (CEN) Workshop on ICT Skills, through a process of collaboration between experts and stakeholders from across Europe. It supports the objectives of the European Commission’s Grand Coalition for Digital Jobs platform and eSkills for Jobs campaigns.
In 2013 the decision to make the e-CF a European standard (EN) was taken. In order to achieve this, the Project Committee CEN/PC 428 was established. The committee is composed of delegates from the National Standardization Bodies of 33 European countries.
CEPIS is a member of the CEN Workshop on ICT Skills and has been granted liaison status for CEN/PC 428. As such CEPIS has developed a number of tools to promote the e-CF:
- European e-Competence Framework Leaflet for Companies
- European e-Competence Framework Leaflet for ICT Practitioners
- European e-Competence Framework Infographic - Long
- European e-Competence Framework Infographic - Short A
- European e-Competence Framework Infographic - Short B
- European e-Competence Framework Presentation
- List of companies mapping to the e-CF
- List of educational institutions mapping to the e-CF
- Sample Job Advertisement - Business Analyst
- Sample Job Advertisement - Developer
- Sample Job Advertisement - Project Manager
- Sample Job Advertisement - Systems Administrator
- Sample Job Advertisement - Test Specialist
- e-CF Infosheet
CEPIS has also developed the CEPIS e-Competence Benchmark, a free online interactive tool powered by the e-CF, as part of its pledge in support of the Grand Coalition for Digital Jobs. The CEPIS e-Competence Benchmark is designed to help ICT professionals identify and match their competences to the ICT jobs that suit them best. It aims to help individuals plan their career development and make informed decisions about further education.